Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Heartbeats!

Yesterday I had a check-up with my OB/GYN (who is wonderful, btw). I'd hoped we'd be doing our first ultrasound, but no luck. However something rather amazing happened during our visit. Damon and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat. It was the strangest thing. Very honestly, I'm still a little put back by it. There simply aren't words to describe hearing that fast, rhythmic beating coming from ones gut (which is not a place associated with any poetic connections of the heart).

Dr. Payton initially found the heartbeat as soon as she placed the stethoscope on my stomach. The stethoscope, I should add, was fitted with a speaker so that the slushing, gurgling sound of my insides filled the small sterile room. Before I realized what had happened she quietly exclaimed "Oh! It's moving.", and adjusted the instrument so it was further onto my right side... where the beating again resumed with much strength and seeming enthusiasm over the simple act of being.

Everything was over within a matter of a minute and a half, but a day later and I'm still reeling from the experience. Damon phoned my parents and his own to share the news. I talked to my little sister, Jewles. Being twelve, her summation of the experience boiled down to one statement: "That's Weird."

Elaborating, at seeing my slightly inquisitive head tilt, she went on.
"For one body to have to heartbeats"

Yep. She's right. It is weird, as so many "everyday miracles" are.

No comments:

Post a Comment